Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Yes, I've seen Babette's Feast, too. And I think you're right about food.

I have a colleague who teaches a class on food history -- I'll have to find out some of the books she uses.
    49-yr-old, lumbo-sacral SBO with split cord malformation, lipomyelomeningocele, and partial sacral agenesis; walk with one AFO & crutch; self-cath; college professor w/a PhD

"Charlemagne's Tablecloth' by Nichola Fletcher is a fairly good easy reading intro to the history of feasting. Sorry I don't have the bibliographic details handy right now, I'm visiting my parents, their 50th anniversary yesterday - the feast was excellent!
    Roger
    Sumus semper in excretum sed alta variat!

northern new south wales, eastern australia

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger67 View Post
    For your inspection, may I present yours truly with one of Nigella's books clutched to my chest (Oh be still my beating heart!). Now let's see you deny that Jamie is a pretty blonde boy with an, oh so cute, little lisp. BTW Smushing sundry ingredients to a pulp in a plastic bag with a rolling pin, then 'bunging' the resulting slop into a pan is not the way grown up people cook, even my 12yo niece can do better than that! OK now seriously; it's pointless trying to pretend that food and sex have nothing in common. Both are primal desires essential for survival. Food has been an integral part of human courtship ritual since forever. Dating invariably includes a meal of some sort, even if it's as simple as a shared box of popcorn eaten in the back row of the cinema. Wedding feasts are frequently the most elaborate and richest meals most people ever participate in.

...you're holding a book....do 'you' cook...or is it more the idea of making love by fridge light!...covered in blancmange....or caramel...or boysenberry icecream, hazelnut parlaine and shards of Belgium chocolate with a warm Quantro sauce...on a bed of french pastries..raining champagne and lemonade........lol....I could go on

Dodger you are right on every account.

I like smushy food, when I make it.

We can't under estimate the power of food, it seems in my short life food is becoming like a universal language uniting us all.

Cheers....burp!
    IF YOU'RE NOT MAD YOU'RE NOT SANE.

Cheers! indeed my friend.
    Roger
    Sumus semper in excretum sed alta variat!

Thanks for the condolences,it's much appreciated.The food at the wake was great!(the somberness in our household is slowly getting back to normal)

I'd never heard of Nigella Lawson soooo I Googled her.I definitely would have watched her cooking shows if they'd have been offered where I live.I have watched Jamie Oliver on more than one occasion and enjoyed his show.He has an interesting way of putting things together.

I used to watch alot of Galloping Gourmet or Wok with Yan.Julia Child on PBS from way back when was cool too.

In my opinion sex and food ARE tied closely together.

I'm making Spaghetti with garlic pork sausage (instead of meatballs) for supper today.It can simmer on the stove top all afternoon whilst I'm in the backyard preparing the veggie garden for this years planting.

Gymp
    Last edited by Gymp; 04-28-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: added today's supper!
    I think,I think I am,therefore I am,I think.
    (Moody Blues "In the Beginning")

Breakfast: I bake a cake on Sunday to be eaten for a whole week.
    Lunch: Fried food- fish and chips, fried chicken and wedges
    Dinner: Steak and eggs with steamed veggies, Meat spaghetti, Chicken katsu with rice

I only cook simple dishes. Seldom cook as my mum cooks much better than I do.

I can cook but no one will eat it my fiancee will eat it but he always cooks for me as the house we are staying at is kinda hard for me to get around I can get to the hob. I will be baking a cake this weekend.
    Living the dream with my soul mate and not lettting anyone hold us back

Cloud9 I love cooking!

I am what you might call a novice cook. I have learned quite a bit, but still need to learn a lot. One of my favorite things to cook and eat is pasta. I also love "pocket sandwiches".

I cook. I'm not a huge breakfast person, so that's usually the smallest meal that I cook, or it's cereal. My fav meal to cook, which I just did last week, I roasted a turkey breast with stuffing and mashed potatoes, toped off with strawberry cheesecake. I'm also a huge steak person, so that's also a fav meal around here.
    ~Jennifer

I fired up my crockpot again. Dinner is sopressata and yukon gold potatoes with onions over cous cous. I really need to explore hard salami. Sopresatta is good, but sometimes the fennel can be overkill.