Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default This website is going down hill fast

I know people are looking into it but i just want to say if the spam thing isn't sorted out soon then people will stop using this site and go else where... maybe thats an option? But i would hate for people who need help to be left out in the dark so to speak because when they come across this website all they get is spam.

Please people in high places fix the spam issue quick before we lose people that need to be on this site.

Thanks,
    Hotwheels.

We are working on it, please bear with us as we search for a solution.
    Roger
    Sumus semper in excretum sed alta variat!

Quote Originally Posted by hotwheels View Post
    I know people are looking into it but i just want to say if the spam thing isn't sorted out soon then people will stop using this site and go else where... maybe thats an option? But i would hate for people who need help to be left out in the dark so to speak because when they come across this website all they get is spam.

Please people in high places fix the spam issue quick before we lose people that need to be on this site.

Thanks,
    Hotwheels.
    While the spam has been a noticeable increasing problem, it actually isn't a lot of spam. I've seen a lot more.

I was a Moderator for an official website run by EMI from 2006-2010 (I think). There were 3 of us doing it. One from America, one from the UK and me from Australia to cover different timezones. We were constantly busy on a daily basis. Holidays were our worst. I'll never forget Boxing Day 2006. I personally removed 150-200 spam posts. They weren't just new threads either. They were posts within existing threads which complicates things. That was bad.

Yes, the posts inside legitimate threads take much longer to kill.
    I'm not keeping score but I reckon I've removed at least 100 posts over the past 24 hours.

@Melz, are you putting your hand up to help out here?
    We can use the help and it would improve the timezone coverage.
    Last edited by Dodger67; 02-01-2013 at 02:05 PM.
    Roger

Hotwheels-we are ALL volunteers here and the mods continually do their best in all area of this site. They work tirelessly for no pay to make this site a great place to visit. No one makes money here. No one. And it costs no one to be here.

We have had a spam problem for the past few weeks. Thank you Melz for pointing out that in the great scheme of things it is not really as bad as it could be. Believe me I too have seen much much worse.

I really don't appreciate your comment that we are going down hill fast. In the years this site has been here it has probably saved more lives and given more comfort than any of will ever know and that is all due to the amazing moderator team you have here that work their butts off behind the scenes. If you really feel like our site can be destroyed over a few 100 comments I would like to suggest that you really don't understand the work being done here.
    "All you need is faith and trust... and a little bit of pixie dust!" --Peter Pan
    Read about our lives and travels on my blog Mom Off Track
    I am on twitter if you ever need to get me quickly or just want to chat about something!

Wow, Melz & Barb -- I'm glad this isn't a worst case scenario! And Melz -- we'd love to have the help. Dodger is great -- he probably has been catching 75% or more before I even see it. I usually read this forum in the mornings (like now), but I'm trying to check in in the evenings, too, now, just to stay on top of things.

Barb -- thanks a million for your tireless efforts!
    49-yr-old, lumbo-sacral SBO with split cord malformation, lipomyelomeningocele, and partial sacral agenesis; walk with one AFO & crutch; self-cath; college professor w/a PhD

I just seen 10 post from this name (Candancejjc) and its all spam I well be staying off this site until its all fixed Thanks If you want's to send me anything my E-mail is in My Profile Thanks.

Those posts were made just a few minutes ago and now they and the poster are gone! So you can get off your self-righteous pulpit now.
    Last edited by Dodger67; 02-01-2013 at 05:57 PM.
    Roger

Blog Entries

If it is at all feasible to confer limited moderating rights to a number of posters in different time zones and appoint them "spam hunters", I'd be happy to be one of them - the real mods' time might be spent on more important monitoring tasks, I feel.

If I had more time (working with an active toddler!) I'd try and help. I must be stupid or just down right non observant as I hadn't really noticed it. Ooops!
    Freya Grace - born 23/06/2011 with SB meningocele at S1/2. Mummy's Little Pudding, and my everything xxx