Default Cathing what age? And pooping?

Hi all,
    I have a daughter with lipomelingocele. She is about 5 years old.I want to ask some quesrions;
    what age a girl can learn cathing? Also, I wonder whether there is anyone who becames able to peeand poop in her/his later life?

5 years old is a good time to start, the idea is to get her to do it independently by the time she starts grade school. Depending on her mobility and dexterity you might want to get her a knee spreader with mirror.
    Independent bowel management usually takes a bit longer to master.
    Last edited by Dodger67; 05-20-2016 at 02:05 PM.
    Roger
    Sumus semper in excretum sed alta variat!

I've been able to urinate/defecate on my own my entire life, and I'm now in my 20s. Aside from some issues after a botched spinal surgery for a few years, in which I refused intervention, lol. I'm not 100% "normal" now, but my urologist is happy with me and sees no need to cath me for the time being (she also thinks doctors from before that insisted were insane, all because I have SB), and I'm mostly happy with myself, as I can control it 98% of the time.

Do you catheterise your daughter already? If yes, chances are it's for a reason, and there isn't always a means of 'going back from' that. That said, it's not an abnormal thing, by any means, and 5 years old is a great time to learn. And like Dodger said, there's some tools to help her, should she require them.
    -NerdaliciouS-

"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing." ~ Socrates

thank you for your messages...I am really happy to find this group