Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abilities Expo?

Default Abilities Expo?

I found out a few months ago that there was going to be an abilities expo only a few hours from where I live. I was super excited. I'm excited because even though I've asked questions about mobility aids here like forever ago I'm finally getting the ball rolling and thought the expo might be a great place to get some hands on info/experience that might help me in choosing my first mobility aids (manual chair and forearm crutches).

Have any of you ever been? Was it worth it? I know they have free loaner scooters but getting in the door will require more walking than I can do which means I'll possibly be in bed in pain for 2-3 days afterwards. But if it's it worth it I will find a way to make it work.
    lipomyelomeningocele, tethered cord, nerve damage began as a young adult, still have lots to learn about living with SB!

We were able to make it to the abilities expo after all. It was worth every penny and every minute!! I looked at wheelchairs from 6 different companies and test drove 5 of them. When I got back to the hotel the first night I was so overwhelmed. I have been researching wheelchairs online for almost a year and I had hoped a hands on experience would solidify the choices I was already leaning towards. I went back to the expo the next day and spent an hour on each of the 2 chairs I was deciding between testing them out and talking with the reps. It was an amazing experience! Can't wait till next year!
    lipomyelomeningocele, tethered cord, nerve damage began as a young adult, still have lots to learn about living with SB!

Did you take photos?
    What chair models did you try?
    Roger
    Sumus semper in excretum sed alta variat!

I tried Ti Lite, Invacare, Colours, Ki Mobility and Tailwind. I didn't take many pictures but below is one of me in one of the Ki mobility Rouge's that I tried.

rouge.jpg

I went to the one in l.A. last year. I had a very good time, but was exhausted afterwards. I somehow never found where the scooters were. But I am going back to the L.A. one next year.

I was told by one of the reps (who is also a wheelchair user) that the Boston one in September is a really good one to go to. There is a rehab/pt facility that sets up a big area and trains people one on one to help them improve or learn wheelchair skills like going up and down curbs and popping wheelies. Wish I could go!

Has anyone else been to such a show?
    Roger
    Sumus semper in excretum sed alta variat!

Blog Entries

I've been to a couple of disability products exhibitions, several years ago.

That's good to know that the one in Boston has a good reputation. We are planning to check it out in September. My son is only 3 years old. We have no idea what to expect, but we thought it would be interesting to see what it's all about.

Here's the website for all the expos. I just noticed nobody posted this:

http://www.abilities.com/expos/

Mimo, I see that you are in Texas. Houston has one in August of next year. Not sure where in TX you are.